Operating Room Circulator - RN
Department: ASC- Tampa
Job Summary: Provides and customizes nursing care to the patient during the intraoperative phase. Sets up the operating room, stocks the room, and oversees the room during all surgeries.
Reports to: Charge Nurse
Position Level: 8D
Essential Functions of the Position:
- Damp dusts room and all flat surfaces prior to start of day.
- Collects all equipment and supplies for the day.
- Ensures all alarms are active and functioning
- Ensures equipment wheels are locked and in lowest position
- Tests all equipment before start of the surgical case and monitors equipment during the case
- Ensures implants are available
- Ensures all supplies are available for each case
- Verifies family member is available for communication with surgeon at end of each procedure
- Assesses readiness of patient for surgery/procedure
- Reviews preoperative checklist
- Confirms preoperative assessment
- Confirms required diagnostic testing prior to procedure
- Introduces self to patient
- Verifies NPO status, allergies, past medical history
- Verifies surgical consents
- Confirms identity before the operative procedure
- Verifies verbally and visually the identity of the individual undergoing the operative procedure
- Asks patient to state name, procedure and birth date
- Verifies operative procedure, surgical site, laterality, and level
- Participates in the time out process before every surgery
- Maintains all surgical documentation, as required
- Circulates surgical cases
- Applies, removes and documents safety devices, positioning devices, and additional items related to specific surgical procedures.
- Checks patient skin integrity post surgery
- Implements protective measures to prevent skin or tissue injury due to thermal sources
- Completes all surgical counts and documents same
- Documents all assessments and care provided in the medical record
- Ensures all entries are legible, timely and concise
- Authenticates all entries
- Transfers patient to PACU and provides thorough post-procedure report to PACU nurse
- Maintains training requirements
- BLS and ACLS
- Annual Risk Management education
- Annual OSHA training
- Annual Malignant Hyperthermia drill
- Competencies, when required
- Participates in quarterly fire drills as required for AHCA Life Safety
- Performs other incidental and related duties as required and assigned.
Physical and Mental Demands:
- Ability to stand for long periods of time
- Ability to think and react quickly to changing patient status and physician needs
- High level verbal and written communication skills
- Above average ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously
- High risk exposure to bloodborne pathogens and chemical hazards.
- Current Florida RN Licensure
- Strong clinical skills and surgical experience
- Basic computer proficiency
- Excellent communication skills
- Mandatory BLS and ACLS
- Orthopaedics experience is required
- Pre-Op or PACU experience is a plus!