Certified Registered Central Service Technician
Job Summary: Responsible for the sterile processing of all instruments used in the preoperative area, quality control function, all logs for instruments, and monitoring of the sterilization process and all implantable.
Reports to: OR Charge RN
Position Level: 6-E
Shift: Day Shift: Monday- Friday
Essential Functions of the Position:
- Maintains the cleaning, packaging, sterilizing and storing of instruments for all surgeries.
- Cleans each item according to manufactures instructions
- Inspects all instruments for damage and defects and lubricate and sharpen as required.
- Confirms each instrument for good working condition , in alignment, grasp
- Sorts and arranges items into proper trays according to preference cards and protocols.
- Wraps trays and individual items according to standards and policy and procedures and the guidelines of IAHCSMM.
- Accurately labels each item with name and date
- Operates sterilizers, ultrasonic washer and other equipment for processing sterile items
- Positions items correctly in sterilizer and ultrasonic washer
- Prepares the proper cycle for each individual load, i.e. lumens, implants, plastics etc.
- Runs and checks indicators daily
- Performs required biological testing on all sterilizers for implants according to manufactures recommendations.
- Maintains log book on sterilizers and biological.
- Maintains instruments loaner Log
- Maintains IFU’s (follows and keep current)
- Maintains up-to-date instrument tray inventory list and tracks all repairs
- Maintains infection control policies and procedures within the unit
- Maintains all required AHCA training and participates in mandatory drills
- Annual Risk Management Education
- Annual OSHA training
- Quarterly fire drills
- Competencies when required
- Assist room turnover when possible to expedite instruments sterilization and process.
- Educate other staff member in SPD duties.
- Leads in SPD Quality Assurance/Performance Improvement Projects
- Performs other incidental and related duties as required and assigned.
Physical and Mental Demands:
- Ability to stand for long periods
- Body movements require occasional overhead and low reaching.
- Carrying , lifting
- Ability to bend, lift, pull, and push at medium work force
- Occasionally overhead reaching.
- Knowledge and follow through with PPE for the area
- High risk exposure to bloodborne pathogens and chemical hazards.
- High school graduate or GED equivalent.
- Certified Registered Central Service Technician (CRCST) through International Association of Healthcare Central Service Materiel Management
- Maintains CEU’s and keeps certification
- Understanding of sterile processing and infection control
- Understanding of surgery housekeeping requirements to include the sterile environment
- Sterile processing experience preferred